Friday, August 26, 2005

Is This What a Man Is?

I found the following quote (mistakes and all) from Cindy Sheehan's blog via this website:

"So, after Joan Baez gave us a great concert tonight, I got up and I talked about Casey. About the sweet boy who grew up to be a remarkable young man. Casey was not always a brave, big soldier man. He was my sweet, sweet baby once. I told the people at the Camp named after him, that when he was about 2 years old, he would come up behind me and throw his arms around my legs, kiss me on the butt and say: "I wuv you mama." I also talked about the loving big brother and wonderful, nearly perfect son. Casey was a regular guy who wanted to get married, have a family, be an elementary school teacher, and a Deacon in the Catholic Church. He wanted to be a Chaplain?s assistant in the Army, but was lied to about that also by his recruiter. The last time I talked to him when he called from Kuwait, ! he was on his way to mass."

Is this what our society wants men to be? Forget the "brave, big solider man" who was trying to do something good for the world. Don't think about the man who was a part of something much bigger than himself and gave the final sacrifice for those people he may not have even known. Cindy wants him to be a "regular guy" who kisses his mom's butt! There are way too many things that tell us men we are supposed to be "nice" guys. God didn't create men to be "nice" guys that didn't sacrifice themselves and stand up for what is right. God created men (in His image) to protect, to fight, to be strong and yet compassionate still. To love those around them with passion and conviction. To do what is right before what is easy. To love God and follow His direction and lead those He puts around us in the same way.

Try reading Wild at Heart. Great book on what God intended for men to be...

No comments: