Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Dad

Recently my Dad was laid off from his job after over 15 years of faithful service. Having stayed somewhere that long, I knew it wasn't because he was a bad worker. My Dad is probably the most honest, hardworking man I know and I was really praying that he wouldn't have to face this situation. Is he and my mother in a bad spot? No. He still has a good amount of retirement saved up, but it is a stress I didn't want him put through. However, something great has come out of it already. When I went home recently, I took some time to talk to my Dad about his situation. I did not expect to hear what came out of his mouth:

Dad: Do we believe there is a God?
Me: Yes.
Dad: Do we believe that God has a plan for us?
Me: Yes.
Dad: Do we believe that God is in control of everything?
Me: Yes.
Dad: Then if we don't act like it we are being hypocrites. God has a plan and that plan didn't include me staying at that job.

Now I understand that this isn't some grand epiphany or anything. But earlier in my life, I've seen my Dad handle situations much differently. I myself want to look at the situation and say things like, "Corporate America at it's finest: Dumping good people to save an extra buck or two." What an awesome testimony to his two sons to handle things in this manner. Which just goes to further prove to me how God can without fail change the lives of those who choose to follow Him. Thanks Dad, you rock.

1 comment:

ken said...

That's very inspiring. Thanks for that.