Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Who we are...

"It isn't about what you do, it's about who you are."

I've never really heard those words before. So many other times in my life I've heard the opposite: that who you are is what you do. I'm really beginning to see the truth in the statement above. No, I don't take it to mean that my actions don't matter. It means that if I focus on my person then my actions will soon follow. Given that, when I stay true to the person I know I am and who God has called me to be, then I don't necessarily have to be so concerned about my performance.

I've struggled with that aspect lately. I look at the potential remainder of my life and the things I know I will be faced with and it looks daunting. I often wonder how I can possibly always be the person I need to be in all the situations I will probably come across. How will I always do the right thing? How can I make sure to always treat people the way I should? The answer is that I can't. I can't be perfect...no matter how hard I try.

But it isn't about my performance...it's about where my heart is and Him that protects, provides, and loves all of us.

No comments: