Friday, June 24, 2005

Silence as a Weapon

I read a post on my friend Ken's site concerning some of the things he learned/heard about during his recent trip to Chicago. A few of them concerned a topic I've been learning about recently:

"Don't underestimate the power of unresolved tension."

"People don't remember what you tell them. They don't remember what you do. But they do remember how you made them feel"

"The less you say, the more they remember."

"Silence is a powerful weapon in your arsenal"

I'm sure many of them deal with his foray into media and design, but I think these could be easily applied to our normal lives. So often we try to control people and situations when what we should be doing is just sitting back waiting on God to work out the details. I have difficulty doing that because I'm so motivated to work towards whatever goal I'm aimed at, but sometimes the best thing I can do is...well...nothing at all.

I especially like the first phrase, "never underestimate the power of unresolved tension." There's plenty of times in our lives when there is unresolved tension between things. Maybe it's between work and family. Maybe it's between somebody that did you wrong in the past. That unresolved tension is a powerful tool God can use to change things in your life when we are open to the possibility. That coupled with periods of silence can do so much more than anything we might be able to say or do.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM!

1 comment:

ken said...

Glad that was beneficial for you. God really impressed upon me several more profound (in my mind, at least) things during that trip. The speakers were really geared toward knowing how to communicate with "creatives." Thanks for the comment.