Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Sunk

I had fun this past weekend. Not too much fun, not so little fun that I'm faking it, but just enough to warrant some posting to "da blog."

Friday night: went with Ryan, Kylie, Crystal, Crystal's friends, Nick and Heidi to the Grove Park Inn for a swanky, fireside time of hanging out and conversation. However, due to my sometimes anti-social behavior and desire to really "experience" the new places I visit, I spent much of the time walking around the grounds and checking out the history involved in the Inn. It is quite a place! You should go stay there...if you can afford it (I know I can't)!

Saturday: Played about 4 hours of NCAA Football 06 on the new PS2 I just got. Go Bama! If they can't win for real, I'll make them win virtually! Then it was off to my company's Christmas party in Augusta, GA. This is where it gets interesting. I left quite early so I could check in and hang out with some guys I know from our Charleston branch. While driving down Hwy 28 south of Abbeville, I passed Parson's Mountain OHV Trail. With plenty of time to burn, I figured I would check it out and see if it was worth coming back for. I drove a couple of miles down a gravel road and turned onto a trail running through the woods. Upon discovering what appeared to be a relatively small mudhole, I put the Jeep in 4wd and got a running start....only to find that the hole was much deeper than it appeared. Needless to say, my poor Jeep sunk up to the door sills and was fully stuck. No amount of rocking was going to get me out. I had my trusty Hi-Lift jack, but no corresponding chains or tow ropes. I called my friend Matt from Iva to see if he could get me out. As I walked the 4 miles back to the highway to meet him, it began raining and I started laughing at my own stupidity. Unfortunately, Matt's truck wouldn't pull it out without him getting stuck also and since he was on a date at the time, I let him drop me off at a gas station and take off. So I had to call in the "big guns" in the form of Garner's Wrecker Service in Abbeville, SC. The owner John was an awesome guy. His very large and very loving dog Jack (a German Shepard) didn't really want to share his seat in the front of the tow truck, however. So here I am, riding in nowhere, SC in a big tow truck with a German Shepard in my lap who can't stop licking me on my way to pull my stuck Jeep out of a mudhole so I can then be on my way to the high class Partridge Inn for a corporate Christmas party. Yes, I made it to the party (albeit late) and yes I had a great time. I was proud of myself for pulling off all that in one day!

I can see how that experience models our lives in God's eyes. We get ourselves stuck in holes all the time and it takes Jesus to winch us out...thank God for Him and big trucks...

No comments: