Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Debate



There's a debate going on in my head right now. Should I sell my 1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport (the very same I recently sunk in a mudhole) and purchase the vehicle you see here (1991 Isuzu Trooper)? While it isn't a raging debate, let's try to work out some details:

I still owe a decent amount of bread on the Jeep. (side note: we should all go back to referring to money as "bread"). While it is not a terrible lot, I've recently gotten into the mindset of dumping all my excess in order to slim down both with my money and in the amount of "stuff" I own. I could probably get away with selling the Jeep for almost $10,000 so I would actually make money off the sell.

The Jeep is not a cheap vehicle to have. Jeeps are domestic and like so many domestic cars, they are notorious for repetitive annoying issues. I've replaced the radiator twice, fixed two leaks in the transmission, replaced the exhaust manifold, and repaired various nic-naks since I bought it. While many of the issues are not big problems, they still cost money. Also, the soft top will need to be replaced soon which is another 500 or 600 bucks

I owned a Trooper before the Jeep and loved it. It was inexpensive, relatively reliable and had enough room in it for my purposes. While not as "cool" as a Jeep, it was definitely a true SUV with decent off-road capability and the ability to carry a lot of people or stuff around. Plus, it's boxy and boxy SUV's are where it's at, people.

I can buy this Trooper for $200. That might be a selling point in and of itself, but I then must put about $3,000 into it for a new transmission and engine. However, once that is done, that will be the extent of the cost of the vehicle. No loans, no payments, etc.

On the other hand...Jeeps are Jeeps. And I love Jeeps. I sold my old 1991 Jeep Wrangler after a year of driving it and kicked myself in the rear for 4 years until I could get the one I own now. The Jeep I own now was frankly a gift from God himself because I all but stole it from the people I bought it from. Plus, there is simply nothing like driving around with no top on (be it me or the Jeep) during warm summer nights.

So much to think about. Save money and lose the Jeep lifestyle and cool points it automatically brings me (I need all I can get) or keep it and make my wallet suck it up?

No comments: