Thursday, November 10, 2005

For the Inner Geek

So recently I just went to the bookstore and purchased Fabric of the Cosmos: Space, Time and the Texture of Reality. Essentially, it is a book on new theories of physics (String theory, Inflationary Cosmology, etc.)and how they tie into the current scientific view of space and time. What a geek I must be. To dive even further, I finished a book not too long ago on Chaos Theory entitled Chaos: Making a New Science. It was a very technically in-depth book but managed to educate myself, who is not well versed in high level mathematics, on the subject. What has this got to do with anything? Well, for one I just like learning about that stuff (I was a Philosophy major in college), and two: it actually has opened my eyes to some aspects of God and His creation. Neither book deals much with the idea of God, in fact , they are probably far removed from it. But God appears in them anyway, at least to me. Take Chaos Theory for example: In a nutshell, the theory concerns chaotic systems (like weather, turbulence, etc.) and explains that while the inner workings of the system are certainly chaotic, on a much larger scale they are still operating within certain bounds and are actually a part of a larger distinctive pattern. Sort of like painting a picture by placing random and unpredictable dots on the canvas. To me, this would accurately describe exactly how God works. Even though the things in our lives seem so random and unpredictable (in fact, they are) it is still a part of an unfolding that God sees as making perfect sense! I suppose that is a very simplified way of looking at Chaos Theory, but that's the sort of idea I get out of learning these types of things. So now when I add my creamer to my coffee and watch it swirl around in an unpredictable way (yet somehow still looking similar to the last time I put cream in coffee) I think about God and how He designed the universe to operate in such a beautiful and creative way!

No comments: